There are a plethora of quotes that are applicable to PR pros, including pithy sayings about publicity, simplifying communications and improving skills.
The best quotes are like tiny poems.
They inspire a feeling or drive you to action, describing more in a sentence than multiple paragraphs of text from lesser writers.
Paired with pictures, the best quotes become even more inspiring. Below are 15 of my favourite quotes for communicators:
1. "There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." - Brendan Behan It’s never over until it’s over. Crisis PR is a skill that should be in everyone’s
toolbox. When issues inevitably crop up, keep calm and take another look at this quote.
2. "A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front-page ad." - Richard Branson People instinctively trust authoritative content more than advertising. Whether it’s a piece in a publication or through word of mouth, make sure you’re producing more stories than ads.
3. "Next to doing the right thing, the most important thing is to let people know you are doing the right thing." - John D. Rockefeller
A great concept is just the first step. Good PR pros know how to share the positive actions their organizations take, garnering goodwill and
4. "The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power." - Malcolm X
Ethics and honesty are as essential in this business as any other. With the public’s eye on you, your executive or your client, it’s vital to produce work you’re proud to stand behind.
5. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." - Warren Buffet Preventing reputational problems will go further than the best crisis response. Be careful, honest and transparent in all of your communications.
6. "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers." - Daniel J. Boorstin
PR and marketing is a valuable skill. Not everyone can do what we do. Rather than being tacked on as an afterthought, PR and marketing efforts should be incorporated into all organizations’ campaigns.
7. "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker
ifts in public opinion can change the course of the future. Never forget it is a power and a privilege to work with those who create new solutions to existing problems.
8. "Public relations specialists make flower arrangements of the facts, placing them so the wilted and less attractive petals are hidden by sturdy blooms." - Alan Harrington
Nothing in this world is perfect, but putting your best foot (or flower) forward can make all the difference to how your audience perceives your organization.
9. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
Before writing that press release, make sure you know the story inside out, back to front and upside down. This will allow you to highlight relevant pieces of information, cut your word count and be ready to answer questions.
10. "If your stories are all about your products and services, that’s not storytelling. It’s a brochure. Give yourself permission to make the story bigger." - Jay Baer
Nothing exists in isolation. Focus on how your client’s product or service affects consumers and their families, communities, and the entire world. It’ll make for a more interesting story.
11. "If you are an artist, learn science. If you are a scientist, cultivate art." - Karin Timpone
The field of PR encompasses a wide set of skills that must be constantly honed to stay on top of your game. Think about an infographic: An outstanding one is a marriage of images (art) and information (science). If you can’t master both skills, connect with people who can.
12. "Content should ask people to do something, and reward them for it." - Lee Odden
Make sure your content is working for your audience. If you ask them to retweet something, will their followers be inspired or feel smarter? If they read a blog post, will they learn something? Put yourself in the audience’s shoes, and don’t forget the call to action.
13. "In the long history of humankind, those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed." - Charles Darwin
We all bring different strengths to the table; collaborating with colleagues can produce the best results.
14. “Your brand is a story unfolding across all customer touch points." - Jonah Sachs
Don’t neglect social media, email, your spokespeople or the hundred other moving parts that make up a successful campaign. This is especially relevant when it comes to multichannel marketing strategies.
15. “If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.” - Zig Ziglar
Measurement and reporting are important aspects of PR work. It’s hard to know if you’ve succeeded if you don’t know your goals.
Looking for additional inspiration?
Check out more sayings here
This post first appeared on PR Daily.
Go back to blog list