Creative Director (US)
As part of its growth strategy, LEWIS is seeking an experienced Creative Director to work with its consumer and B2B clients across six US offices. The Creative Director will help teams think broadly about creativity, with the aim of delivering impactful creative campaigns for our clients. This hire reflects the ongoing strategic importance the agency places on creative.
This opportunity will suit an ambitious, entrepreneurially minded professional who relishes the chance to help grow a business and practice area and thrives on challenges and on working in a fast-paced, international environment.
LEWIS is an integrated marketing communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide with 24 offices and 550 employees. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award-winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services, and making strategic acquisitions. We are recipients of many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Holmes Report, ICCO and PRCA.
Purpose of the role
The Creative Director will work within our integrated marketing and communications team and create unique and compelling consumer and B2B campaigns that that span across all platforms, resonate with consumers and drive meaningful results. This hire will lead the creative team to set the overall vision, develop brilliant ideas, and bring them to life; work closely with clients and colleagues to understand and interpret the challenge, direct and approve the work, and present it to clients. Our ideal candidate is a skilled storyteller, natural collaborator and brilliant presenter, able to design and execute distinctive consumer and B2B campaigns.
The Creative Director (CD) reports to and will support the Executive Creative Director (ECD) in leading and mentoring a team of designers and copywriters to build powerful stories both editorially and visually to deliver high impact work. A key part of the role will be to help nurture and develop the creative team into a powerful creative force for the agency while developing its own approach to creative. The role will help to ensure the evolution of innovative storytelling at LEWIS.
The role will primarily focus on the US but, depending on client and new business needs, could involve global opportunities as well as internal initiatives. They will be expected to collaborate with other creative professionals across the network, and those excelling at creative, on conceiving and delivering creative ideas and concepts for new business RFIs, credentials, pitches and client programs/campaigns.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Together with the ECD, recommends and drives the development and growth of LEWIS US’s creative output and reputation
- Works with the ECD to set the processes for LEWIS’ creative team in the US
- Works with the US offices to improve the overall creative thinking, ideas and output
- Takes the lead on, and is responsible for, the creative output for the LEWIS creative team; responsible for the overall quality of creative work and its effectiveness in meeting the client brief
- Supports and provides creative solutions in response to client and new business briefs; uses creative expertise to interpret a client's vision and make it tangible and deliverable
- Enters (and wins) awards for client work
- Pushes the boundaries of what is creatively possible and inspires creative excellence
- Promotes continuous creative improvement and a culture of innovation, excellence, accountability and commitment to excellent and pertinent storytelling
- Works closely with new business teams on the creative elements of the RFP response whether in ideation or helping to produce visual/editorial assets to deliver powerful creative responses to briefs
- Helps assign “owners” and creative resources to new business leads, closely monitoring performance and outputs, as well as deadlines
- Leads RFIs, credentials and pitches for clients, collaboratively developing the strategic insight, messaging and concepts from a creative viewpoint
- Capitalizes on the unique selling points of LEWIS and is able to leverage these against competitor offerings
- Promotes LEWIS externally through speaking engagements, articles and blogs on topics relating to creativity
- Works strategically with clients, providing added-value insight and counsel on creativity
- Works with clients closely during the design and creative phases of projects to ensure best possible solutions
Team working and development
- Takes leadership responsibility for the designers in the US, including the coaching, supervision, and appraisals of all team members
- Builds a high caliber, talented and motivated team - nurturing and preserving the LEWIS culture
- Acts as a respected line manager, working closely with direct reports to maximize strengths, improve weaknesses and support career development
- Works with the HR team to reward, retain and develop the team and resolve any performance issues, offering suggestions and improvements for the benefit of the wider local team
- Reports regularly on the creative efforts in the US to the ECD: commercial benefits, clients and work, new business, people, new creative processes, training and morale, etc.
- Runs and supports training sessions, with the aim of expanding team skills and US creativity
- Supports the HR/Talent team by promoting, both internally and externally, opportunities at LEWIS across social media and via the referral scheme
- Takes a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its identity, values and work.
- Visionary creative leadership and the ability to build an inspired culture; passionate about breaking new ground to lead progress
- Considered, assertive and influential; a strong leader with the skills and aptitude to motivate and develop an ambitious team of diverse creatives
- Expert in developing and defining design strategy; refining designs from creation through development and implementation.
- 10+ years of experience working on brand and design centered projects, ideally in the CPG industry. Beauty or personal care experience beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to lead the creative process from conceptualization to execution, translating ideas across multiple platforms
- Strong, strategic client consultancy skills
- Track record of building deep and long-lasting collaborative relationships with critical stakeholder
- Demonstratable success at winning new business and increasing client reveues for creative work.
- Ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements; and meet deadlines
- Strong knowledge of the industry, emerging trends and technologies, using this to inform strategy, direction and investment
- Up to date knowledge of design processes, methodology, principles and practices, core industry creative software
- Extensive experience in using the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and/or Illustrator); Sketch, AfterEffects, Premier of Final Cut Pro.
What we look for in our people
Agile, bold, collaborative, inquisitive and spirited. These are the values sought in every person at LEWIS. As the company evolves and expands, it wants people who recognize the need to think differently. We want all our people, whether a paid media specialist or media strategist, graphic designer or analytics manager to have an appreciation of the wide and deep capabilities available to clients that work with LEWIS. Our people need to be agile to opportunities; bold in their approach; collaborate with colleagues across different services or offices to deliver amazing work; keep learning and challenging the norm; be spirited and committed to developing themselves, their colleagues and the agency.
Key Internal Contacts
- Executive Creative Director (San Francisco) line manager
- SVP, US Head of Brand Marketing (San Diego)
- SVPs/VPs in the US (Boston, Chicago, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC)
- Client Engagement team
Remuneration and benefits
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- 20 days’ vacation per year
- Fully paid premiums for employee health, vision, life and short-term disability insurance
- Partially paid premiums for dental insurance
- 401k with 2% contribution match
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.Apply