The company is an integrated creative marketing agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Digital Impact, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
The Managing Director is a senior strategic and creative client-facing position providing leadership to a team of digital marketing strategists, managers and directors.
The overall purpose of the role is to focus on building and maintaining strategic client relationships, profitability, organizational and operational development and leadership. This individual will be responsible for owning the relationship for strategic digital accounts and will oversee flawless execution of digital, social, and integrated campaigns for client(s). This person will work with the senior management team to ensure the team delivers creative and forward-thinking client service. They are responsible for meeting client expectations and ensuring the client is kept fully up to date with critical activity on the account.
A key component of this role is the ability to win, lead, retain and grow major accounts by bringing greater creative and digital insights to client pitches, proposals and ongoing programs.
Periodic travel to the West Coast offices will be necessary when travel is permissible.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Works with the digital leadership team (SVPs, VPs, and MDs) to contribute to plans to drive development and growth for Digital across regional major accounts.
- Monitors team and client growth plan(s) and recommends remedial action to address any challenges, ensuring that these actions are carried out to satisfaction of senior leadership
- Works with the leadership teams and office heads to support resourcing across internal business units
- Works with the digital leadership team to recommend, and then implement how best to align, integrate, market and sell digital marketing services within clients and into new market opportunities
- Engages in and ensures a strategic relationship with clients, providing insight and partnership across all aspects of the marketing and communications spectrum
- Responsible for ensuring excellent client communication and deliverables at all levels; defining KPIs, deadlines and service agreements
- Delivers an added-value consultancy and works closely with clients to deliver campaigns, services and products across traditional and emerging communications channels
- Plays an integral role in the senior management team, ensuring account profitability and optimizing the impact of revenues on the business
- Leads the new business process in collaboration with the Client Engagement team, making key decisions and playing a crucial role in selling LEWIS credentials throughout the tender process
- Communicates account performance internally and provides strategic advice to the client based on measurable analysis
- Monitors and reports on account KPIs and ensures accurate reporting by junior team members
- Provides detailed reports to the client and senior management team on request
- Proactively flags and recommends adjustments to over/underservicing and oversees implementation of changes to support the balance of team profitability and work/life balance for employees
- Prepares proposed scopes of work and pricing for new and ongoing business, for final approval by VP or SVP
- Uses digital marketing and social media to recognize trends and proactively promotes new tools, solutions and processes to continuously evolve and optimize client campaigns across the business; Strong fluency in social media strategy & execution a must
- Provides analysis and insight as well as strategic management of client activity
- Works collaboratively with PR, channel specialists and creative teams to increase the utilization and selling of integrated digital services
Team working and development
- Provides leadership for the account team, including coaching, supervision, assessment and reviews of all team members
- Works with the SVPs and VPs to recommend, and then implement strategic team objectives on a weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Defines deliverable client objectives and sets standards of excellence for all client activity, driving an inspired commitment from all levels of the team
- Monitors team activity levels against budget, increasing fees and negotiating with clients and suppliers where necessary (with commercial approval from regional VP)
- Plays a leading role in cross selling additional services into accounts as well as supporting the new business process, project managing pitch teams and delivering credible solutions to new business challenges
- Acts as leader in guiding colleagues on how to best manage campaigns and projects
- Acts as a respected line manager, working closely with line and team reports to maximize strengths, improve weaknesses and support career development
- Works with the Talent team to recruit high caliber candidates into the team and develop and initiate hiring strategy in line with projected organizational requirements
- Work with the HR team to reward, retain and develop the team and resolve any performance issues
- Runs and supports training sessions, with a view to maximizing opportunities to expand team skills and grow revenues
- Take a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its identity, values and work
- Support the HR / talent team by promoting both internal and external opportunities at LEWIS across social media and via the referral scheme
- Overall, be a guardian of best marketing practices
- Highly commercial, with strong strategic client consultancy skills
- Relevant experience of working in a B2B, corporate, consumer or digital communications agency environment at a senior level, managing a large account team ($1M or greater)
- Well versed in social media and the integration of digital marketing into the PR landscape
- A track record of retention and the profitable growth of existing accounts
- Considered, assertive and influential; a leader with the aptitude to develop and motivate a team
- Able to provide consultancy on PR requirements as well as broader marketing strategy
- Demonstrable success at securing new business and increasing client revenues
Key Senior Internal Contacts
- SVP, Strategic Integrated Accounts (Digital) – Line Manager
- VP, Strategic Integrated Accounts (Digital) – Close working relationship
- VP, Digital – Close working relationship
- Managing Director, Strategic Integrated Accounts (Digital)
- SVP, Digital (East Coast)
- Client Engagement team
- San Francisco and San Diego leadership teams
- SVP, US Head of Brand Marketing
- Creative Director
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.Apply