Job title Legal Counsel
Reporting to Senior Legal Counsel
This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who relishes the chance to help grow a business, thrives on challenges and working in a fast-paced international environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing independent global organisation.
About TEAM LEWIS
The company is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, PRovke, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
As a Legal Counsel, you will be part of TEAM LEWIS in-house legal team which oversees all legal aspects of TEAM LEWIS globally. You will be responsible for providing advice and assistance on a range of legal subjects at TEAM LEWIS. The Legal Counsel will provide professional and high-quality legal advice, and will be guided by a strong commercial awareness, keeping the needs of the agency and the business at all times to the fore.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the other members of the legal team and will advise internal stakeholders (account servicing, new business, finance, HR, marketing teams) and liaise with third parties outside TEAM LEWIS (clients, suppliers, landlords, regulatory authorities) on legal issues in order to advance and protect the interests of TEAM LEWIS. The role is global in scope and is intended to cover all markets where TEAM LEWIS has a presence.
The Legal Counsel will have a working knowledge of IP and privacy related legislation.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts (client services agreements, supplier terms, partner agreements, influencer agreements, NDAs and property contracts) and other legal documents independently or with little supervision
- Assist with development and maintenance of client contract templates and policies for use across TEAM LEWIS, and update templates and policies as and when needed
- Promote contracting best practices across TEAM LEWIS
- Work closely with the finance and account servicing teams with respect to new and ending contracts, billing terms
- Maintain an effective contract management system
Provide legal advice
- Provide legal advice to and support the business and finance/operations and HR teams on matters related to contracts and/or LEWIS policies
- Assist the global finance team with debtor management / credit control
- Respond to ad hoc legal questions from internal stakeholders (finance, IP, data protection) whilst applying strong commercial awareness
- Assist in mitigating and managing potential and actual legal disputes and bring them to a successful end
- Maintain awareness of and disseminate legal and commercial advice and associated with the TEAM LEWIS business including local and global marketing laws, privacy, corporate, intellectual property, real estate, contract and employment laws
Legal Compliance and Managing Risk
- Assist with development and implementation of company policies
- Assist with GDPR and privacy related compliance
- Assist with company secretarial, corporate entity management, delegated authority and other corporate issues
- Stay up to date with new company initiatives including new areas of business, and provide legal advice accordingly
- Organise and maintain internal trackers relating to company offices, insurance and IP.
- Negotiate and maintain the group’s insurance policies
- Produce and provide training and other materials to improve compliance and managing risks
- Be a strong communicator at all levels both internal and external.
- Be an advocate and actively work towards the integration of the legal team with other commercial teams at LEWIS
- Understand, support, and enable business strategy from a legal perspective.
- Show initiative in helping to on-board new joiners with respect to the group’s legal and commercial processes and provide continued support to all team members in applying internal processes
- Contribute and support the continuous improvement of systems, practices and policies ensuring they underpin LEWIS’ culture
- Undertakes legal and general research associated with the LEWIS business including on local and global marketing laws, privacy, intellectual property, real property, contract and employment laws
- Perform ad hoc duties as required
- Experience in a legal role, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts, either within a law firm, or within a commercial in-house environment. A qualified lawyer in a common law jurisdiction would be advantageous.
- Strong legal knowledge in contract law and strong experience with advising on commercial contracts is essential. Good knowledge of general legal principles around intellectual property, company, employment and property laws are desirable.
- You will be well organised, excellent at planning and an effective communicator.
- You should have an ability to communicate difficult legal concepts in plain English and know how to deliver commercially focused and tailored advice.
- You should and be interested in learning about new areas of law.
- You must be confident and be able to negotiate with external parties.
- Excellent legal research skills.
- Experience of the public relations, media or technology sectors would be advantageous but not essential.
Key internal contacts
- Country, division and office heads
- Finance, IT and HR teams in UK, Europe, APAC and US
- Chief Operating Officer (UK)
- Senior Legal Counsels (UK and Singapore)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
TEAM LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that TEAM LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.Apply