Job title Technical Director
Reporting to Executive Creative Director
LEWIS is seeking an exceptional Technical Director who can marry technical innovation, commercial imperative and practicality, to set the vision for the strategic and technical evolution of the development team. The role will put platforms and processes in place to deliver digital transformation to clients. Reporting to the Executive Creative Director, the Technical Director will work closely with the senior leadership team to convert new business opportunities and stimulate organic client growth. They will be a senior counsel to internal and external stakeholders.
Having an international mindset and approach, the Technical Director will head up developers in the US and Europe to deliver a “follow the sun” service, providing visibility on capabilities, development roadmap and market defining innovation opportunities.
This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who relishes the chance to help grow a business, thrives on challenges and on working in a fast-paced environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing independent global organisation.
The company is an integrated creative marketing agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Digital Impact, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
The TD will be responsible for the leadership, management and output of the development team as well as the recruitment of additional talent to the team. The TD will collaborate with key internal stakeholders to recommend and set a vision for the team, ensuring that all team members work towards this vision. This will include constant learning and the identification and embracing of emerging technologies.
At the consultancy level, the TD will recommend appropriate technologies and platforms to use. They will help write project plans, statements of work, estimate fees. Highly presentable, articulate and engaging, they will successfully pitch proposals and ideas in a palatable, easy to understand way to clients and prospects. They must demonstrate a strong appreciation of how to deliver at the highest level within the boundaries of commercial reality. The TD will work closely with the Project Management and Client Servicing teams to ensure assignments (including internal projects) are delivered on time and to a high standard. The TD will promptly identify and flag any deviations from plan, along with remedial solutions, to the relevant stakeholders.
Main responsibilities Strategic Planning & Innovation
- Works with the Executive Creative Director to design the development roadmap
- Scouts for, and evaluates, new technology and tools as opportunities for innovation and development excellence
- Defines the technological strategy in conjunction with the developers for each project: pipeline, tools, and key development procedures
- Works with the new business team to define requirements and recommend effective solutions to the brief
- Provides detailed input to RFIs, for example recommending technologies and platforms in response to the brief; scoping development phases, pricing, timelines; planning resource
- Oversees the project code architecture and technical vision
- Establishes technical standards and procedures to track and measure project progression
- Oversees the technical design documentation process
- Provides input on the practicality of initial design goals and impact to the overall project timeline
- Oversees and coordinates system requirements to support all technical solutions
- Identifies weak systems that need code improvement and schedules corrective action
- Presents technical solutions confidently and clearly to a non-technical audience
- Manages client relationships from a technical perspective and works closely with the Head of Digital to ensure technical support for all clients
Team working and development
- Builds and retains a high calibre and motivated team, expanding the developer capabilities
- Recommends and implements the optimum team structure: skills, seniority, cost, location
- Identifies and qualifies freelance and external resource for rapid deployment for immediate capacity
- Sets the structure to provide real-time insight into resourcing and time worked, ensuring the team is resourced to meet client needs but that profitability is maintained
- Acts as a respected line manager, working closely with line reports to maximise strengths, improve weaknesses and support career development
- Works with HR to reward, retain and develop the team and resolve any performance issues
- Works with HR to recruit high calibre candidates into the team, initiating a hiring strategy in line with projected requirements and promoting vacancies across social media
- Runs and supports training sessions, with the aim of expanding team skills
- Takes a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its identity, values and work
- Is a collaborative, encouraging and supportive member of the UK and global development team
- Overall, acts as a guardian of best practice.
- Degree in a technical discipline and a background in development, defining solutions for front and back-end: therefore, able to challenge the developers
- Active member of the development community – knows what is new, what is on the horizon and is passionate about finding new and better solutions and delivery methods
- Experience gained in an international digital agency or web-based enterprise business as a Technical Director, Head of Development or Lead Developer
- Experience advising creative and innovative colleagues on what is possible re practically delivering their vision and ideas
- Influential, assertive, decisive; experience building and running teams of developers
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills; effective interacting and communication with stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience in delivering multiple large-scale projects (£250k+) concurrently
- Understanding of agency project processes, project control and delivery milestones
- C#/.Net Development experience 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 (web forms, web services), Microsoft SQL 2005 / 2008
- CMS development experience: Sitefinity/Sitecore/ Umbraco
- Fully competent across Microsoft Visual Studio
- Strong skills with C#, .Net, SQL Server and development methodologies i.e. Agile, Waterfall, MVC
- Sound system administrator knowledge and server management, including hosting architectures and IIS
- An understanding of front-end - HTML, CSS, Java, jQuery and Flash
- Above all else, exudes a love of all things digital; is energised working collaboratively with a wide variety of passionate digital experts.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.