Competing With The Big Dogs
At the time, Lucid was a lesser-known company, only getting traction in the trades and lower-level media. Additionally, the company’s main competitor is one of the most talked-about, and high-profile companies in the world, Tesla. To break through the noise, Lucid would not only have to establish itself as a brand but establish itself as a true challenger to one of the most notable companies making waves.
“To compete with the big dogs, you have to liken yourself to the big dogs.”
Lucid’s approach was to focus their media efforts on their product. However, our team of former TV insiders knew that the people behind the product are the “broadcast secret sauce.” For example, would Tesla have such widespread notoriety if Elon wasn’t behind it all? A person can symbolize a product, symbolize a journey and embody a narrative.
To engage a wide array of leading broadcasts, we rolled out a strategy with a series of angles focused on Lucid’s CEO to tell the “David versus Goliath” story.
Key elements included spotlighting Peter Rawlinson’s background and building his credentials as the former mastermind behind the Tesla “Model S.” With the eye-catching subject line, “Former VP of Tesla & Mastermind Behind the Model S – Releases Major Announcement,” we seeded a pitch narrative focused on Rawlinson’s noteworthy background and the ties to the biggest Goliath in the EV industry, offering the Lucid CEO to talk about his time working alongside Elon Musk.
Through this strategy, the “David versus Goliath” story began to take shape. Producers at CNBC, CNN, FOX Business, Cheddar and ABC network affiliates were eager to have Rawlinson on their program. Suddenly, Lucid became the company positioned to turn the EV world upside down and take on the biggest name in the industry. On-air results revolutionized Lucid’s brand and notoriety and created the initially requested buzz for the Lucid Air.
- How Lucid Motors Plans to Differentiate Itself from Tesla & Nikola CNBC, Squawk on the Street
- Lucid CEO: We want to coexist with Tesla, other electric cars FOX Business, Coast to Coast with Neil Cavuto
- Market Realizing Tesla’s Leading EV Tech: Lucid Motors CEO FOX Business, Varney & Co.
- Lucid Motors Reveals New Electric Sedan Called Lucid Air CNBC, Squawk Alley
- This Electric Car Has Over 1,000 Horsepower CNN Business, First Move with Julia Chatterley
- Lucid Motors Unveils Electric Sedan to Rival Tesla Yahoo Finance
- It’s Electric: Lucid Motors Unveils Details About Luxury Sedan Lucid Air Cheddar
- Lucid Motors CEO: New Electric Vehicle Coming into Production Spring 2021 FOX Business, Claman Countdown
- Inside Lucid Motors’ Plan to Take on Tesla CNBC Documentary