Marketing Services Director
LEWIS is seeking a seasoned brand marketing professional to serve as our Marketing Services Director. The Director will be a member of the Boston leadership team and will be responsible for further expanding the LEWIS marketing services practice. The ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of B2B marketing campaigns, demand generation, digital marketing, paid and organic social campaign development and management, brand messaging development, and content development. They will have the communications finesse to work effectively with national and global teams.
We are an entrepreneurial integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in just twenty two years. We have grown every year since foundation due to a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions. Our ambition is to break into the top ten by 2020. We have a network of 25 offices, 550 employees and revenue of $64m. Not bad for an agency that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
What’s behind our success? Well, we’re independent so we can continually reinvest the majority of our profits in the company to propel development. We invest wisely in growth areas such as our social, digital and content teams. We challenge ourselves to stay one step ahead of the competition by delivering innovative solutions for clients which can be activated at pace and scale.
We are agile, bold, collaborative, inquisitive and spirited. And we believe that we are on the cusp of something truly remarkable in our industry.
Purpose of the role
The Marketing Services Director understands their clients’ objectives and requirements, the commercial terms of their accounts, and the level of resource required to service them effectively to deliver results.
The Marketing Services Director has the ability to tackle a variety of marketing challenges and is proactive in championing new ideas and approaches. They are well versed in providing strategic counsel to clients. To be successful in this role, the Marketing Services Director must have a keen creative eye, advanced problem solving ability and strong organizational skills. They have demonstrable experience in dealing with diverse personalities and clients and thrive on working in a fast-paced, client-servicing environment.
Additionally, the Marketing Services Director will work with internal teams on new business efforts to help ensure the growth and expansion of the agency. This will include leading pitches, creating proposals and coaching mid to junior level employees in presentation techniques.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Oversees and maintains a consultative relationship with the client, acting as the key contact for marketing and communications services
- Responsible for maintaining excellent client communication at all levels; defining deadlines and service agreements, whilst ensuring these are met consistently by the team
- Ensures regular contact with the client is maintained by direct reports and other team members
- Supports clients in all aspects of nurturing and growing their marketing programs and acting as a community manager, when needed, across a broad range of accounts
- Works closely with the client to regularly review account performance, identifying and communicating opportunities for additional PR, marketing and digital services
- Participates in new business by leading pitches, attending brainstorms, generating content, preparing presentations
- Maximizes opportunities and outreach to prospects, including existing and past contacts, to build new business leads.
- Devises and implements integrated marketing campaigns across channels: email marketing, digital marketing, social media, content marketing, etc
- Manages campaigns via standard sales and marketing automation systems like SFDC, Pardot, Eloqua, Marketo, and Hubspot
- Proactively suggests new campaigns and creative projects
- Ensures that program strategy, objectives and methods are understood by the team and client
- Stays up to date on best practices and current trends.
- Develops both long-form and short-form content: case studies, collateral, blogs, social posts, email and landing page copy, ad copy, etc
- Collaborates with design and creative teams to create compelling and impactful content and integrated campaigns for both current and prospective clients.
Team working and development
- Sets team objectives on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis
- Defines deliverable client objectives with the account team
- Monitors team activity levels against budget; increases and decreases an individual’s allocation where necessary
- Provides guidance to colleagues on how to best manage campaigns
- Regularly attends and leads LEWIS training sessions and daily press briefings to enhance skills and develop knowledge.
Reporting and analysis
- Ensures that all activity and results are reported back to the client; providing insight and analysis across all aspects of the account
- Communicates account performance internally (account reviews) and provides strategic advice to the client based on measurable analytics
- Monitors and reports back on account KPIs and ensures accurate reporting by junior team members
- Provides detailed reports to the senior management team on request.
- Supports the team on initiatives and projects
- Acts as a cultural ambassador for the region: promoting initiatives, using Yammer and all social media channels to showcase our activity and upcoming projects etc.
- Runs and supports training sessions, with a view to maximising opportunities to expand team skills and grow revenues
- Takes a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its work, identity and values
- Supports the HR / talent team by promoting both internal and external opportunities at LEWIS across social media and via the referral scheme
- Contributes and supports the continuous improvement of systems, practices and policies
- Overall, is a guardian of best marketing practice.
- Previous marketing experience at a Director level
- In-house / corporate marketing experience (agency background in addition is a plus)
- Understanding of client business issues and requirements
- Ability to interact confidently with clients at a senior level
- Strong project management skills with an ability to plan and prioritise
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team
- Ability to troubleshoot client and team problem areas – and suggest a remedial course of action
- Understanding of the local market and opportunities for growth
- A persuasive and convincing verbal and written communications and presentation style
- Calm under pressure and ability to achieve tight deadlines
- Creative thinking and an open minded approach
- Undergraduate degree required
- Integrity, humility, self-drive/initiative.
Key Internal Contacts
- Vice President of Marketing Services (Boston) - line manager
- Marketing Service Directors (Boston) – close working relationship with
- SVP Boston (office head)
- SVP Pulse (San Francisco)
- SVP, US Head of Brand Marketing (San Francisco)
- VP Client Engagement (Boston)
Remuneration and benefits
- Basic salary dependent on experience
- Performance related bonus
- 20 days’ vacation per year
- Health insurance; life insurance
- 401k with 2% employer match (eligible after 30 days of employment)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.