Award winning campaign
Taste of Freedom is the way Deliveroo brings your favourite quality food wherever you are and whenever you want. Aimed to increase brand awareness and the number of orders in the Spanish coastal regions during the busy summer months, food delivery service, Deliveroo, arranged an integrated PR and marketing campaign on the beaches of Barcelona, achieving the best media impact for a public relations campaign in its history worldwide.
The creative strategy
Before the execution of ‘Taste of Freedom’ we conducted research around the food delivery habits of Spaniards. We found:
- Seven out of ten mobile users order food from home, however, there is an uptick in users (18%) opting for ‘On the Go,’ deliveries to their destinations (home, work, university, etc.)
- Comfort and speed rank as the highest valued aspect (65%) in ordering food from home
- Overall, Spaniards spend 30% more of food delivery than eating out
- 55% of urban Spaniards order food at least once a month
With these insights, as the first campaign of its kind, our ‘Taste of Freedom’ mission acted as an experiment. If Spaniards enjoy home delivery as proven by our research results, and with the beaches boasting in summer popularity, why not deliver to ‘homes’ on the sea?
Alongside the objectives: to increase brand awareness, promote delivery on beaches, and highlight the message that Deliveroo brings your favourite food whenever you want, wherever you are, we organised a unique consumer activation on the beaches of Barcelona. We boarded Deliveroo riders on jet skis so they could deliver the most popular dishes of Deliveroo partners to boats sailing along the Catalan coast. The street, or sea in this case, marketing activation was coupled with traditional PR tactics for a successful integrated campaign. Following Deliveroo’s day at sea, we organised an exclusive interview with Barcelona’s main news agency, as well as the launch of both regional and national press releases.
The campaign generated massive interest of both, consumers and the media, and it became the best media impact ever achieved by a public relations campaign in the story of Deliveroo worldwide.
- 185 impacts in national and regional media
- 13 TV interviews
- An audience of over 32 million people
- An equivalent advertising value of 513,427 EUR
- Traffic on Deliveroo’s website and app by 40% in Spain and 32% in the coastal regions
- The number of orders by 7% in coastal areas
- Orders in only seven days by 25%