CES, organised by the Consumer Technology Association, is the world’s largest consumer electronics trade show. It happens every January at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The first show was held in 1967. It has grown massively ever since. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Hear me out. CES now has 12 official venues throughout Las Vegas. The show claims that covers more than 2 million net square feet of exhibit space. That’s about 30 American football fields! Brands that can pay the bill are often front and centre and get the most visitors. Up-and-coming brands are harder to find.
This makes it difficult to compete for media attention during the week. This year was not helped by Apple announcing the Vision Pro headset launch date on the first day of the Consumer Electronics Show.
— Gary Shapiro (@GaryShapiro) January 18, 2024
Don’t get me wrong, I think the CES tech show is great for the consumer technology industry. It kicks off the year and gives global innovators an opportunity to make connections, create partnerships and show the world what they are doing. Maybe I’m just in a bad mood from trying to cover 2 million net square feet in three days!
So, what can brands do to grab attention at the CES tech conference. Some thoughts for CES 2025:
- You don’t have to be on the exhibit space’s show floor to make an impact. Consider renting hospitality suites at one of many hotels and showing off your gadgets and innovation there. Invite reporters, partners and customers. Tip: if you provide transportation, they will come!
- If you do have a booth, please don’t make it cookie cutter. There are more than 4,000 exhibits (and about 130,000 attendees). Do something unique to stand out. Not everyone has the budget that tech giant LG does, but think big.
- Attend one of the media events during the week, including CES Unveiled, Pepcom or Showstoppers. These are great venues to showcase your breakthrough technology and puts you where the media are.
- If you are going to be on the show floor next year, plan ahead. That means now. Do a full regroup with your team but start to think about your CES 2025 attendance and what you want to accomplish.
- Better yet, don’t wait for CES to unveil cool shit. Do it when nobody is expecting it.
— CES (@CES) January 11, 2024
Need an agency to help get you ready for the Consumer Electronics Show, or other upcoming trade shows and conference sessions? Reach out to [email protected] and we’ll get you ready to bring your product to the world.