It’s that time of year again, when the streets of San Francisco are filled with lanyard-wearing cybersecurity professionals weighed down by vendor freebies. RSAC 2019 is this week, and whether you’re a seasoned pro or a newbie these tips will help you navigate the chaos.
Top 5 Tips
- Stay secure. Avoid free Wi-Fi and use VPNs.
- This IS a cybersecurity conference after all. Better safe than sorry.
- Too many talks to see? Divide and conquer with your colleagues & friends.
- Don’t have friends? Make some at the conference, you can share notes so you don’t miss a thing.
- Network and get the best swag during the first three days when everyone is still fresh.
- Travel, long hours, and endless handshaking starts to take its toll. Make connections early!
- Download the official RSA Conference app.
- This app will be your best friend! It has interactive maps, schedules, and the option to build a personal agenda.
- Conduct research on key topics prior to attending.
- Don’t be the person saying what everyone else is saying. Do your research, say something new, and stand out from the crowd.
Key Topics & Trends
- Social media security and data privacy concerns
- Existing & proposed regulations, ethics, security vulnerabilities
- Nation-state threats
- Russian, Chinese state-sponsored hacking groups, etc.
- The use of AI and ML for security as well as cybercrime
- The lack of diversity in security and tech
- Particularly the shortage of female executives
- Election security
Parties to Attend
- RSA Drinks & Hors D’oeuvres
- CyBEER Ops Networking Reception
- Luminate and Kenna Rooftop Party
- Mayhem at the Mint
- RSA Closing Party: Keep Calm and Drink Gin
Check out this list and this one for more parties! Follow this Twitter account to get party updates in real time.
Journalists to Follow
- Kelly Jackson Higgins
- Executive Editor at Dark Reading
- Alison Denisco Rayome
- Senior Editor at TechRepublic
- Tom Spring
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief at Threatpost
- Tim Starks
- Cybersecurity reporter at Politico
- Joe Uchill
- Cybersecurity reporter at Axios
Want even more conference tips? Check out Making the Most of Tradeshows and if you’re tasked with posting on social during RSAC, read this.
Now that you’re feeling prepared, it’s time to make the most of RSAC 2019! Get ready to exceed your daily steps goal, network, and hear about the latest in cybersecurity from industry experts!
Need a quick overview? Download our RSAC 2019 Survival Guide Infographic.